Saturday, October 11, 2014

Day 3

Yesterday, I met with three of my friends.  One at lunch, two after dinner.  They all tried to cheer me up.  I am actually quite happy for a man who was just laid off.  Still, it was nice to see them and talk about what I want to do with my life.  Today is Saturday and I started the day off by reading about Python.  I'm still doing that now.

Last night I did a Flask tutorial.  I haven't mentioned this yet, but my most current programming experience has been in Python and this is the language that I am targeting for my next job.  Also, I want to get into the data analytics industry and there are many great python tools for Machine Learning and statistics.  Flask is a web development framework that is written in Python.  I have already done one interview where they wanted me to know Flask.  I definitely want to keep my programming chops and I figured that writing a website in Python would keep me busy.  After having completed the little cut and paste project, I really don't know that you want to be involved in web development.  I want to write software, but I hate languages like HTML.  My real interest in computer programming lies in mathematical modelling and object oriented design.  System design is also cool, and I have written a system that was like Expedia.

I am also looking into getting a Linux setup going and killing two birds with one stone by renting a virtual private server to develop and host my website.  In that vein, I started a free trial with a vps company and have been trying different Linux versions is to see if I can remotely log in and use it as a dev environment.  So far, I have been trying Ubuntu and it hasn't worked well.  Before leaving for lunch, I started a Debian installation to see if that works any better.

Right now, I am just sitting in the coffee shop, getting ready to continue reading my Python manual.  I think I will go lift some weights today.

One thought that is going around my head is that I have do decide what industry I want to move into.  For years, this has been the data analytics industry.  I want to get into that industry and start a great career.

No comments:

Post a Comment